Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rome, Italy Day 3

Well, our last day in Rome is complete. It was perfect. We were able to rest and relax until the afternoon then we went out and took in some more sites. We went to see the Pantheon which became a church dedicated to martyrs just after the fall of Rome. The columns on the out side are one-piece granite columns, the biggest in Italy, and they were shipped from Egypt. Inside is beautiful with typical church deco, paintings, statues, etc. But what's really impressive is the dome in the center. The concrete dome is huge and it gets thinner and lighter with height. The highest part of the dome is volcanic pumice. The very top of the dome is left open and exposed to the elements. It would be a really cool place to stand in a rain storm!




Looking up at the dome



Then we walked further to the Piazza Navona. It was a long rectangle piazza filled with beautiful fountains and painters all around selling their paintings and art. Wonderful benches to sit and take it all in. We rested there for quite a while then went over to a local restaurant and had dinner. Music was playing and we enjoyed our last authentic Italian meal!




It was dark by the time we started to head back to the hotel and on our walk back we couldn't help but take this picture of the Colosseum all lit up.



It was a great last day here in Italy. I hope that all these posts have been fun to see and not to boring. It was really meant to be online journal entries for Jeff and I so we wouldn't forget all the amazing things we were able to do on this trip. I'm so glad that we were also able to share it with my family and friends so thanks to all of you that took a look and left comments. It's been fun to read your comments and feel closer to home while we've been so far away. Can't wait to get home tomorrow and see our family and friends. Love you all!

1 comment:

Marisa said...

The posts about your trip were anything but boring! I devoured every one! I'm so glad that you guys were able to go on such an amazing trip and I hope to be able to do the same someday! I loved the details and the pictures. I'm planning to have a scrap night soon so get those printed! Can't wait to talk to you!