Sunday, May 22, 2011

Great Potato 1/2 Marathon



Up until now most all of my running has not been alone. I have had such amazing running partners and friends who have been through countless hours of training with me and race after race, and we did it all together! Those months, and years of running with them are a gift I will treasure for ever. It is not easy to find running partners that you can run with for so long, have similar paces and similar enough schedules to be able to run together 3 or 4 times a week, every week. What a rarity that was. I have truly missed each of those running partners, and you know who you are, for their support of me, their undying commitment, their endurance, and strength! They have each taught me so much! Since our move in August I have been running on my own, with no partners. What an experience it has been. I have learned so much about my self and have grown in many ways. If you ever want to learn a bit about your self and see if you can do really hard things on your own, move away to a place where you don't know anyone, sign yourself up for a half marathon, or longer race, train for it for months on your own, and then show up on race day all by yourself! I have to say it was quite lonely running by myself and I found myself at several points through out the race looking around wanting to talk with someone about how I was feeling, how my body and mind were talking me out of keeping up the pace, and how great the feeling was going to be at the finish line. But there was only me and you know what?...It was ok. I had a goal in mind and I knew I was going to make it to the finish line and I kept telling myself, "You can do hard things, keep going!" And that's just what I did! I wanted to finish the race in under 2 hours and I came across the finish line at 1 hour and 52 minutes!!! It's so amazing to me what we can accomplish when we put our minds to something. A good friend said this to me and I think she said it best, "I think there is something really incredible about having to take some of life's very difficult journeys alone, it really shows you what kind of stuff you are made of and what you are capable of accomplishing! Not that you would always choose it, but I think it's just like life that way, sometimes we have to walk (or run) alone!" Well said Suzanne. I love ya! Something I am trying to remember in any situation where I may feel alone is that we are never alone. We may be alone where the world is concerned, and like at the start of this race, have no physical person near us that we know, but no matter what, we always have the Savior with us! It may sound silly to some but I know he was with me for this race. I prayed daily that my training would go well, that I would have the strength and stamina to complete the race, and he answered my prayers. It was such an amazing experience for me and one that I won't soon forget! A new friend of mine here in Idaho was running the 5k with her daughter that morning. She surprised me and she and her family hung around to see me cross the finish line! That small gesture meant so much to me. I don't think she'll ever know just how much. I heard her call my name as I crossed the finish line and then to see her there and have her to hug and say, "wahoo, we finished" was so wonderful. Thank you so much Kiersten! Thank you to my friends who supported me from a far, and for Jeff and my family who love me enough to let me keep running life's races!!

1 comment:

Lil Lizzie said...

congrats on the half marathon!! i have had a running budy for all 3 of mine but i usually run alone when i train...so i totally know what you're talking about! way to go on your time! i also had a goal of under 2 hours and last saturday i did it in 1:54!! i miss your cute family. i'm going back to seattle in a few weeks and i'm sad you won't be there to visit!